The Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme (SRES) is an Australian Federal Government-run scheme to encourage the adoption of renewable energy sources. Through the scheme, you will be able to benefit from incentives in the form of small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs), in the event that you decide to switch to renewable energy from traditional electrical or gas hot water systems.
- Reduce the initial price for the installation of solar and heat pump heaters, when replacing the use of a gas and electric models
- Are accessible in each state and territory in Australia
- These are valid for both new and existing houses
HOW MUCH COULD I SAVE WITH STCS?
One STC is equal to a megawatt-hour per year (MWh/yr) of power that is displaced by a qualified system. The amount you can save is contingent on a few important elements:
1. Your location
The location you live in will affect the quantity of energy you save. Because of the dimensions and different climates, Australia is divided into various climatic zones (four for solar and five for heat pumps) which are generally linked to the boundaries of postcodes.
2. The capacity and effectiveness of your brand-new hot water heater
The capacity and efficiency of your brand-new hot water heating unit (heat or solar), determines the number of STCs you can qualify to receive. The more energy efficient your energy-efficient hot water system can replace the need for gas or electricity, the more gas and the greater number of STCs you could be eligible to obtain.
ARE THERE OTHER RENEWABLE ENERGY AND SOLAR INCENTIVES AVAILABLE AROUND AUSTRALIA?
Certain states in Australia have incentives, which are in conjunction with STCs. These incentives may provide an additional discount on the upfront cost of a heating system that is solar, or using a heat pump, when replacing the electrical or gas system.
NEW SOUTH WALES ENERGY SAVINGS SCHEME (ESS)
The Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) is a New South Wales Government initiative launched to help make energy-efficient appliances cheaper.
- Heating systems that use solar and heating pump-powered water heaters were also included in the program in April 2022.
- Replace your gas or electric gas water heater with a sustainable alternative and you may qualify for a second reduction in addition to incentives for STC offered by the federal government scheme.
- The number of certificates required for installing a specific model of system will be determined by operation (what you are replacing the tank with) and location (postcode)
A certified certificate provider (ACP) is then able to create ESCs to help with any energy saving that is realized and sell the ESCs. Similar to STCs, ESCs can be utilized to provide a discount when purchasing and installing the costs of heat or solar pump-powered water heaters.
What is the time when the ESS is appropriate?
When replacing an old electric water heater, you can:
- An Air source heater water heater
- A water heater that is solar (electric-boosted) water heater
If you are replacing an existing gas water heater, you can:
- An air-source heat pump is a water heater that uses an air supply.
- A photovoltaic (electric-boosted) heater for water
- A solar water heater (gas-boosted) heating element for water
LEWATER ENERGY EFFICIENCY
It is the LEWATER offers Discounts within south Australia for the installation of energy-efficient water heaters instead of electricity or gas.
- Each certificate is a tone of greenhouse gas emission reduction
- The same applies to homes with existing construction.
- This is an additional financial benefit for STCs
When can Lewater be used?
- In the event of installing a five-star gas heat pump, solar hot water system instead of an old, inefficient electric water heater
- In the event of installing an efficient 5-star gas or solar-powered gas heater in lieu of an outdated or inefficient gas water heater
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN RETAILER ENERGY PRODUCTIVITY SCHEME (REPS)
The Retailer Energy Productivity Scheme (REPS), launched in January 2021 is an South Australian government initiative that is designed to encourage energy retailers to provide incentives to households who change to renewable energy.
- Obligated Energy retailers have set targets for their annual energy productivity that they must achieve by offering incentive programs to households and companies.
- Water heaters that are efficient, such as the heat pump and solar hot water systems are mentioned in REPS
- A few examples of REPS initiatives include discounts on services and cash rebates as well as vouchers